Tuesday 11 May 2010

The Lido, the glitch and the swimrobe

Training continues to go really well with two sea swims last week of 20 minutes each. Water temperature was 10 degrees or so with the first swim being in a millpond flat sea in Worthing with the second being in a very rough sea down in Cornwall (6 foot breakers !) which was great practice for swimming with a swell. The best tip is to try and get your stroke working at a rate that matches the pulses of the waves - takes about 10 minutes to get into the swing of it, until your wedding ring flies off that is...

...yes that's right, the combination of a big wave, cold fingers and a good dose of bad luck caused my wedding ring to fly off into a murky sea down in Cornwall. I tried to stand still and feel for it with my feet but I was already in 4 foot water and about 30 seconds after starting my search a 6 foot wave came my way and I had no option but to duck it. This obviously resulted in me being washed a fair distance any thus eliminated any chance of me finding it again. Yet again my fantastic wife has been more than understanding about the whole thing - a true star !

Pool training has also improved significantly now with the opening of a brand new 50m pool in Guildford at the Surrey Sports Park as well as the annual re-opening of the 50m outdoor pool at the Guildford Lido. The latter is great for helping me to get used to that different sensation of outdoor swimming (plus is nice and chilly especially with a good wind blowing across the water !!!).

The surroundings are great and remind you very clearly of the Lido's 1930's roots. Doing my best to get changed in one of those poolside wooden cubicles with a cold wind blowing around me I was reminded of the pool my brother and I used to swim in when we were stationed in Hong Kong. Very similar feel to the place (but a little warmer in HK obviously !!!) that made me think back to the swimming robe (my special name for what was effectively a dressing gown) that had all my ASA swimming badges sown on to it by my mother. I can still remember doing my 50m badge to this day. Funny how things can progress...

No comments: